Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Music at the Gerald Ford funeral


I watched the funeral of Gerald Ford yesterday with rapt attention. I remember him well. I was upset when he pardoned Richard Nixon because I didn't think Nixon should "get away with it." Now I understand that it did allow the country to move on and get past all of the scandal that Nixon brought to our country. As always, music brought back lots of memories yesterday. The orchestra played beautifully the Navy Hymn that had played continuously during John Kennedy's funeral. Denice Graves sang "The Lord's Prayer" like an angel, as she did during the service for 9/11 victims. As we baby boomers age, the amount of music associated with momentous events grows and grows. Personally, I'm glad because it helps me to remember things that have shaped my life and my world. How about you?

No comments: